WordPress powers almost 25% of all websites on the internet. Some people still make the mistake of thinking of WordPress as a blogging platform, and that is where it gained popularity in the past, but today WordPress has evolved into a versatile content management system (CMS). It still works really well for building blogs, but now it also can be used to create extremely functional websites.
The best thing about WordPress is it’s easy to use and flexible enough for just about anything. Because of it’s long list of features, many of the top brands use WordPress to power their websites including: Time Magazine, Google, Facebook, Sony, Disney, LinkedIn, The New York Times, CNN, eBay, and millions more.
You can tell I’m a huge fan of WordPress, and for the last seven years have designed and developed more than 90% of my websites on the WordPress platform. WordPress has big advantages at every step of the process: it saves money, provides control for site owners (add/edit/remove content), advanced functionality (e-commerce, mapping, user submitted content, etc.), and has better SEO.
Top 10 reasons I like using WordPress for websites:
1. WordPress is Free – Unlike others that claim to be “free” – only later you find out have hidden costs or they run ads on your site. WordPress itself is completely free, forever, and they won’t start charging when you get to a certain size.
2. Easy to Find Help – Because it’s so popular and open source, most designers & developers have worked on this platform – so if can’t figure it out yourself and you need some help – there’s lots of it out there.
3. Plugins = Functionality – Plenty of other platforms offer plugin functionality, but not this kind of choice (WordPress.org offers over 30,000 free plugins), everything from adding galleries, sliders, shopping carts, forums, maps, and hundreds of other great functions. You are able to easily search, one-click install, and activate (some with a little configuration) – right from your dashboard.
4. Visual Editor & CMS – (content management system) are user-friendly and intuitive, another big reason why WordPress is so popular. If you can use Microsoft Word – you can use WordPress. And since it has so many users, WordPress is constantly improving its CMS, adding features like custom post types, comments, galleries, revision history, trash, and lots more.
5. Easy to Add a Blog – still considered by most to be the best blogging platform. Besides great advances in CMS, the blog functionality is still the best out there, giving you categories, tags, comments, gravatars, themes, widgets, moderation control, anti spam, tie ins to social media, you just won’t find a better blogging solution. Remember, blogs are a great way to attract and involve visitors, and boost your SEO.
6. Themes for Styles – You don’t need to “start from scatch” or build your own CSS when it comes to designing. You can create a beautiful and successful site by starting with a good theme – and then further customizing it to make it yours. Since themes are completely independent from your content, so you can edit or change themes at any time – and your content and functionality remain in place. There are over 2,500 free themes for WordPress available, but I strongly recommend spending $50–$70 on a really good Premium theme – you get so much more (for about what you pay for one hour of custom design work).
7. It’s Secure – easy to install, and very easy to update for both security and new functionality. When a new version is available, WordPress gives you an easy button for one-click upgrades.
8. WordPress is SEO-friendly – Google Loves WordPress because it automatically generates search-friendly URLS, and with the addition of a plugin like Yoast SEO (free version), you can really build strong SEO, raising your site’s search results. Integrate it with your social networks and your site will perform even better.
9. Accessible – Most good themes are built for responsive design – meaning they will adjust for different devices. WordPress web pages render in HTML and CSS allowing them to show up on iPhones, Android, iPads, etc.
10. It Grows With You – with all of these features, your WordPress site can grow with your business over the years. Easy to upgrade for new features and security. You can add a new theme to give a whole new look without redoing the whole site. You can add new plugins for enhanced functionality (add e-commerce if your business needs it, focus more on SEO, add a store finder, etc.)
WordPress is the best web builder solution for most small businesses
Over 75 million users have decided to use it to build their’s because it’s built on solid open source code (meaning it’s free), thousands of free and low cost design themes to build from, thousands of free plugins that add functionality. It gives you the power to manage content yourself (which is huge) and it can grow with your business, it will boost your SEO and there’s tons of free and low cost support available. Take a look at all the free plugins at WordPress.org
I have been working with WordPress for over 7 years, and pay a lot of attention to finding best themes to build websites, Checkout my top 2 choices.
Learn from WP Apprentice short and on point video tutorials which you watch at your own pace, whenever you need them – reliable answers from an expert trainer. Checkout WP Apprentice
Video training from Lynda.com
If you are serious about improving your knowledge and skills, you should consider checking out Lynda.com. If you want to learn some new stuff, including WordPress, I recommend you check Lynda.com out.